The Virginian-Pilot Journalism Workshop offers high school and college students the chance to learn about journalism, to meet other students with similar interests in news, and to have fun! This is an intensive immersion into print and digital journalism.
Who: Current public, private and homeschool high school students and college students
When: July 23-27, 2018
Where: The Virginian-Pilot in Norfolk
Pilot reporters, editors, photographers and digital editors will work with you and cover many topics including:
- Interviewing and research
- Story organization and self-editing
- Deadline news writing and feature writing
- Layout, design and photography
- Social media
For years, we’ve supported local high school students seeking journalism experience. This year, we’re adding a workshop for college students. Here’s a chance to take your work to the next level. The workshop is free; transportation is not provided.
The deadline is Monday, April 30.
- Complete the application.
- Include a letter of recommendation written by your journalism teacher, newspaper adviser, English teacher, guidance counselor, principal or headmaster/mistress, or someone who can highlight your work as a writer.
- Be sure to ask that person to include contact information. Recommendations should not be written by parents or other family members.
Contact workshop co-coordinator Denise Watson: 757-446-2504 or email@example.com